A number of candidates have been invited to put forward personal manifestos for the coming election. First up, David Vance of the TUV who’s standing in East Belfast. He states below that, as the TUV are neither hostages to David Cameron nor little Ulster Nationalists, they offer a “fresh, new vision” for the constituency…
In 1979, Peter Robinson narrowly won the Westminster seat of East Belfast from Bill Craig by claiming that time had run out for “political weaklings.” Thirty years later, in power as long as Zimbabwe’s Robert Mugabe, Mr Robinson now seeks another five years. I come to East Belfast to say that time is up for Mr Robinson and to borrow his own term, to insist that there will be no more political weaklings representing the unionist people of this constituency!
TUV offers a fresh new vision for East Belfast and it come down to five key points of difference;
- I offer the people full time representation at Westminster. Mr Robinson has failed to be present for 2/3rds of all votes, this is not representation of the people. This is a shameful record which means that the voice of East Belfast is silent most of the time at Westminster. I aim to be a clear and present voice, unafraid to speak up for the people on a wide range of issues.
- I offer a fresh energetic approach to getting JOBS into East Belfast. As an entrepreneur myself, I know what it is like to create new jobs, to innovate, to develop industry and commerce. East Belfast desperately needs sustained lasting economic regeneration and I am better placed than any other candidate to do this.
- I offer a resolute and principled unionism and am the ONLY Unionist candidate standing that rejects mandatory power-sharing with the Bogside Butcher and his associates. If voters share my sincere view that nothing that is morally wrong can be politically right then voting TUV is their only viable choice.
- I reject all the scandal over expenses and property development which has so brought politics in East Belfast into such profound disrepute. A £5 says that if elected, I will bring total transparency to all property development issues and ensure that the local people determine what happens. I do not know any property developers willing to gift me £25,000 and will keep it that way. I also believe that an MP’s expenses should be open for all to see.
- I seek to make East Belfast a shining example of what can happen when an MP recognises that he is there to serve the people and totally commits himself to vigorously working for his constituents 24/7, as opposed to working for fat cat vested interests.
TUV is all about bringing real change, not phony promises. We are not hostages to David Cameron’s insipid conservatism, nor are we the little Ulster Nationalists led by Push-Over Peter. We are dynamic, offering a wide range of innovative policy ideas on national as well as local issues, and above all else, seeking that the people of Northern Ireland enjoy the same standard of democracy as that enjoyed elsewhere in the United Kingdom.